- Start time:
- Chetham's Library, Long Millgate, Manchester M3 1SB
- £FREE - book via EventBrite
Join the team from Manchester Metropolitan University to award their 2019 Manchester Poetry and Fiction Prizes – and celebrate the creative work shortlisted for the international Writing Competition with some special guests and an all-star line-up.
Established by Carol Ann Duffy in 2008, the Manchester Writing Competition has awarded more than £175,000 to its winners. This year we will be awarding two £10,000 prizes: the Manchester Poetry Prize for best portfolio of poems and the Manchester Fiction Prize for best short story.
The evening will open with a drinks reception and there will be short readings from each of the poetry and fiction finalists. Regular hosts James Draper and Matthew Frost return to compere the night and this year's judges Malika Booker, Jonathan Gibbs, W. N. Herbert, Sakinah Hofler, Nicholas Royle and Lara Williams will be there to celebrate the UK's biggest literary awards for unpublished writing. Carol Ann Duffy will close the evening by presenting the winners with their £10,000 golden envelopes.
- All are welcome and entry is free but advance booking is essential. Please reserve your places via Eventbrite to guarantee admission: https://2019mancwritingcompgala.eventbrite.com
- Hosted by Manchester Met at the iconic medieval Baronial Hall at Chetham's Library.
- Drinks reception from 7pm; ceremony starts at 7.30pm.
- Short-listed pieces are available to read via https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/writingcompetition/.
- Watch highlights from last year's gala on the Manchester Writing School YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7Zh9YHNIM